Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Walking Distance

The next morning was Saturday. I decided to stay in bed all day. I was tired and sad and still wasn't sure what had happened to Megan. So I stayed in bed and only got out to go to eat and go to the bathroom.

Sunday, I decided to leave my apartment and go somewhere else. I think it was the bookstore, I can hardly remember. But it was at the mall, I do remember that. I was going there because I had to get presents. Christmas was coming.

Christmas was coming and I was going to the mall. Christ.

But when I got there, there weren't as many people as I thought. There were crowds, sure, but not like last years. Not like it was Black Friday. I went to the bookstore (being around books always makes me feel better) and bought some presents for my brother and sister, then went home.

It was on Monday that I really started to notice it. The disappearances.

When I walked to work, I walked past an elementary school. And I walked at the same time as the elementary school kids are being let off by their parents. It's always a busy street, parents and kids everywhere.

On Monday, it was practically empty. There were almost no kids. The school like almost like it had been abandoned. The kids I did see had blank looks on their faces, as if they knew something was wrong, but just couldn't put their finger on it. 

With no kids, the street was silent and still.

No comments:

Post a Comment