Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Judgment Night

All the television channels were blank. The same with my books -- every page blank. At least I won't run out of notebooks to write in.

The sun had set and I idly wondered if perhaps the sun had disappeared below the horizon. I looked up and couldn't see the moon, but I didn't know if that was because it was supposed to be a new moon or if the sun was no longer there.

I figured it didn't matter.

I stepped outside. The night was cold and I shivered in my jacket. There were no cars around anymore, so I walked to the middle of the street and stood there and looked up.

Above me was the vault of heaven itself. The panoply of stars.

I waited. I looked back and saw my apartment building was no longer there. There was just long rows of grass. As I looked around, I noticed this was no longer any apartment buildings or coffee shops or gas stations. I was surrounded by fields of grass.

I looked up and saw the stars, unobstructed by smog or clouds. They shone brightly in the sky and then, one by one, winked out of existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment