Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Mr. Denton on Doomsday

I searched for Megan desperately. The restroom was empty. Her desk was cleaned of everything she had put there. Her purse was gone, as well as all the snacks she had brought to the office.

And even worse, no one remembered her. My supervisor, Rich, thought I was playing a prank. Finally, he kicked me out of the office when I threatened to call 911.

I didn't understand, not then. I remembered Megan, but no one else did. I looked for her car in the same place she always parked, but someone else was parked there. I called her cell phone. Someone else answered.

Megan had never existed.

I walked home weeping. I thought I was going crazy. Then, at a red light, I saw a homeless woman rolling a shopping cart. She rolled it right up to me and said, "It's comin'. You know it's comin'. You can feel it, can't you?" The words drawled out of her mouth. "It's in the air, it's coming in the air." She smiled at me and said, "Christ is coming in the air, see? Christ is taking us all away, away." She waved her hands. "He'll take us up to the clouds! And the rest..." She spat on the ground. "The rest will be silent."

I rushed away from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment