Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Perchance to Dream

I tried calling my sister again, but an automated voice said that the number I had dialed was no longer in service. My brother still wasn't answering his phone, but I could still get his voice mail. I left a message saying I loved him.

On the bus ride home, I fell asleep and had a dream. I dreamed that it was Christmas and we were all gathered around piles of food, so much food we couldn't even begin to eat it all. And my brother and my sister and my mom and dad were there and we were all smiling and happy. My dad began to cut the turkey, but the knife slipped and cut his hand. I rushed over to him with a napkin, but he said, "Don't worry, honey. Look." He showed me his hand. The cut was big, but it didn't bleed. I looked at the cut and it opened up and beyond it was a vast whiteness. And then I was falling into the whiteness and I couldn't stop.

When I woke up, I was lying on the ground in the middle of the street. Apparently, the bus had ceased to exist in the middle of the bus ride.

I stood up and started walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment